10th World Congress on Healthcare & Technologies
Kuwait University | Kuwait
Title: Clinical presentations of HHV-6 infection in infants and children in Kuwait: A retrospective study
Biography: Nada Madi
Clinical manifestations of human herpes virus 6 (HHV-6) have not been clearly defined, and the role of HHV-6 in human disease among infants and children in Kuwait remains to be fully elucidated. A retrospective study covering the period between 2008 to 2014 was conducted on infants and children aged one month and five years. Blood and CSF samples from infants and children who presented with symptoms suggestive HHV-6 infection were subjected to PCR test for HHV-6. Results showed that 9.3% (n=42) of infants and children were positive for HHV-6. Fever was the most noticeable symptoms, presented in 50% (n=21) of the patients. Also, neutropenia was highly associated with HHV-6 infection, where it presented in 35.8% (n=15) of infants and children. Our results provided valuable information about the clinical outcome of HHV-6 infection among infants and children in Kuwait.
- Madi N, Al-Qasser M, Abdul Khalik D, Edan R, Al-Nakib W. Clinical Utility of Viral Load Management of CMV Infection in SOT Patients in Kuwait. Transplant Proc. 2015 Jul-Aug; 47(6):1802-7.
- Chehadeh W, Al-Qaseer M, Albaksami O, Altawalah H, Suhail Ahmad, Madi N, John SE, Al-Nakib W. Phylogenetic analysis of HIV-1 subtypes and drug resistance profile in treatment-naïve people from Kuwait. J Med Virol. 2015 Sep 14; 87(9):1521-6.
- Madi N, Al-Tawala H, Abdul Khalik D, Al-Nakib W.A Relatively High Number of Pregnant Women in Kuwait Remain Susceptible to Rubella: A Need for an Alternative Vaccination Policy. Med Princ Pract. 2014; 23(2):145-8.
- Madi N, Al-Tawalah H, Al-Nakib W. Clinical Presentations of HHV-6 Infection in Infants and Children in Kuwait: A Retrospective Study. AIM. 2014; 4: 1088-11094.
- Al-Tawalah H, Madi N, Al-Qaseer M. Prevalence of blood-borne viruses in the dialysis unit, Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait. KMJ. 2014; 47(1): 30-32.